Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the new year begins....


2012 has arrived!

 I always get to start the year with a new age....this year it is 55.  We still had company from Christmas and we went to one of my favorite places for my birthday dinner....Maddox's in Brigham City
 After seeing everyone off, Britt packed her bags and we headed to D.C. for her new adventures.
 Instead of us driving for 34 hours, we found a transport company who loaded up Britt's car and took it to D.C. for us.  
 Britt's new city.  She can't quit smiling.
 Britt's small corner of the big city...she still can't quit smiling.
 This is my artsy picture of the BYU grad in her new world.
 After working on moving Britt into her new place, we took a day to be tourists.  This is the 9/11 memorial at the Pentagon.  The design and the symbolism of the memorial is magnificent.  There are benches for each of the people who died, with running water under each one.  If the bench faces towards the pentagon that means the person was in the Pentagon when the plane hit.  If the bench faces towards the sky it means the person was on the plane when it hit.
Another highlight of our 'tourist' day was our afternoon at the National Art Museum.  You are permitted to take pictures at the Museum and I was glad to get one of this particular piece of art.  It looks like a chalice sitting on a stand,  but it is actually a painting.
Did you know that all the National Museums are free in D.C.  I hope Britt lives there for a very long time because I have a very long list of things I want to do there.


1 comment:

Mike and Jen said...

I like that picture of you at the 9/11 memorial. Not sure what your hand is doing but you look lovely and it does seem like a powerful monument.